Monday, December 13, 2010

Educate and recruit Afican LGBT Activists

I have taken to reading the electronic media on the advances made by african activists in line with progressing the fight for LGBT rights. Since I accepted myself as who I am, I have tried to read any possible article on LGBTI issues in Africa and East Africa (Kenya in particular). I’m trying to educate myself on the progress of LGBTI issues across the world. I have had the opportunity to read stories from across the continent of Africa from the North to South; East to West. There are brilliant men and women out there risking their lives everyday for the rest of us.
Lately, I watched MP David Bahati of Uganda in an interview on the Rachel Maddow Show.  See here. David Bahati  known for the infamous Anti-Homosexual bill that has got many Ugandan gays living in fear daily was in the US to a ttend a conference (he wa not allowed into the conference..hehehe). Well, what struck me most in the interview is Mr. Bahati’s insistance that children were being recruited into “gayism” in schools. Even though he found himself hard pressed to explain the nature of recruitment involved; it all got me thinking…
Recruiting…maybe the LGBT Activism needs some recruitment. There are thousands of LGBT people of age and I mean over 18years old willing to join the ranks however with no idea of where to start.  The door should be openned for those willing to participate in the LGBTI freedom fight. We not only need to recruit but we also need to train our personnel adequately on strategy and methodology. Put our best foot forward not just any foot.
David Kuria in his article LGBTI RIGHTS IN AFRICA - DIVERSE STRATEGIES?  has highlighted a very critical issue for LGBTI in Africa. My two cents worth and please note that i am no expert in LGBTI issues and therefore this is not a critique of the article...  Althought Skill based migration may seem as a good option for most, it may end up eroding the work force that is currently the backbone of LGBT activism in Africa. Perhaps the focus should shift to educating the LGBTI community and recruiting more activists.  The LGBTI community all over the world has received increased media coverage and visibility. What we need are trained individuals to help progress the fight in the grassroots level.  If scholarships geared towards training of LGBTi individuals in key professional skills from financial to  healthcare with a requirement to serve a certain period of time in progressing the LGBTI Cause in their countries of origin; a major step forward would be made.
We may have many willing to join activism in any form; however, do they bring with them any expertise?
I for one would love to join in the fight. But the lack of knowledge on the first thing about activism let alone LGBTI activism tells me I need some sort of training. I could just join in to chants of “we want freedom now” with the best of them  but I believe there is more to the fight than this.
Do you have an idea on any such scholarships or internships? Are there any sites or groups offering such training for African LGBTI?
Well I grew up being told Education is Key…I say, just show me the door…
Sweetp.

No comments:

Post a Comment